Vehicle Donation Process
- The Asbury Foundation Car Donation Program accepts all cars, trucks, motorcycle’s, RV’s, regardless of the age or condition of the vehicles. Towing is free to the donor. We have a partnership with Melwood, an organization who manages car donations.
- All vehicles that are donated to our program must have a clean title.
- Donors wanting to donate their vehicle should call Melwood’s toll free line at 1-855-527-2232. When calling, donor must have the title in hand, as Melwood needs the information from the title while accepting the donation. Donors who would prefer to submit an online form, instead of calling Melwood, may do so at: www.TheAsburyFoundation.org/Donate/Donate-Your-Car.
- Once the donation is accepted, a Melwood representative will assign the vehicle to a local auction company. The local towing company will be in contact with the donor to arrange pickup of the vehicle. Normally, vehicles are picked up within 1 – 2 business days. The donor will provide the title and keys to the tow driver when they arrive. Donors do not have to be present when the car is picked up, they can simply leave the title and keys in the vehicle. A towing receipt should be left with the donor. Once Melwood receives notification of the pickup, a formal receipt on Asbury Foundation letterhead will be sent to the donor.
- Once, the vehicle is sold, Melwood will process a letter, along with the IRS 1098C to the donor indicating the sale amount of the vehicle. NOTE: The minimum a donor can claim for a donated vehicle is $500. Once the vehicle sales for $501 or greater, Melwood is required to indicate the exact sold amount on the IRS form 1098C.
- Checks will be issued directly from Melwood to the Asbury Foundation
To see a list of "Frequently Asked Questions" and responses regarding the car donation program, click here.